At the JMM
I spent yesterday at the Joint Math Meetings here in San Deigo and I gave my talk just before lunch. A few observations:
- Mathematicians are even nerdier than I remember
- There are way more mathematicians here than I thought exist
- A bunch of them are people I kinda remember fondly
- But there are also people I would be okay with never seeing again
- The result is an emotional random walk with a slightly positive drift as I walk down the hall (internal dialog: “oh, hey! hugs!” with probability “I’ma turn here and walk fast” with probability )
- The result of that is a shopping mall-like exhaustion that sets in within 30 minutes of being at the conference.
- If I have run into you at the JMM, rest assured our meeting happened with probability
I had a nice time giving my talk, though, and I accidentally invited the audience of about 140 people to have lunch with me when in fact I had already agreed to have lunch with the small group of speakers and organizer Suzy Weekes.
So for the people who are still interested in having lunch with me, meet me at noon at Bub’s, which is located right next to the ballpark on the corner of J Street and 7th Ave. See you there!