2017 Resolutions: switch this shit up
Don’t know about you, but I’m sick of New Year’s resolutions, as a concept. They’re flabby goals that we’re meant not only to fail to achieve but to feel bad about personally. No, I didn’t exercise every single day of 2012. No, I didn’t lose 20 pounds and keep it off in 1988.
What’s worst to me is how individual and self-centered they are. They make us focus on how imperfect we are at a time when we should really think big. We don’t have time to obsess over details, people! Just get your coping mechanisms in place and do some heavy lifting, will you?
With that in mind, here are my new-fangled resolutions, which I full intend to keep:
- Let my kitchen get and stay messy so I can get some goddamned work done.
- Read through these papers and categorize them by how they can be used by social justice activists. Luckily the Ford Foundation has offered me a grant to do just this.
- Love the shit out of my kids.
- Keep up with the news and take note of how bad things are getting, who is letting it happen, who is resisting, and what kind of resistance is functional.
- Play Euclidea, the best fucking plane geometry app ever invented.
- Form a cohesive plan for reviving the Left.
- Gain 10 pounds and start smoking.
Now we’re talking, amIright?
Kindly add your 2017 resolutions as well so I’ll know I’m not alone.