Things I’m reading
February 16, 2015
Really into writing right now but I’d still like to share my reading list with y’all.
- The review of 50 Shades I wish I’d written (hat tip Chris Wiggins). I still can’t decide whether the net effect of the film is bad, because the characters are so terribly stereotypical and stalkerish, or good, because it at least forces people to ask the question, what do I desire and how is that different from other people’s desires.
- Alexis Goldstein’s newest piece in Medium.com about the newest pawn in the financial lobbyist’s chess set, community banks.
- Remember SketchFactor? Well now there’s PlaceToLive (hat tip Jordan Ellenberg).
- I’m researching the toxic industry that is for-profit colleges. On the other hand, the Washington Post seems to be shilling for that same industry: here, here, and here (hat tip Auros Harman).
- If you’re a listener, try this interview with Edward Baptist, author of The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism. I’ve heard great things about this interview and its explanation of the earlier versions of “financial innovations” that directly involved slaves. This piece and many many more can be found on the Alt Banking website.