Home > #OWS, musing > Crash the pick-up party with me?

Crash the pick-up party with me?

June 12, 2013

I’m not sure my friend Jason Windawi will appreciate the credit, but he pointed me to this Meetup yesterday called “MEN THAT DATE HOT WOMEN”, which I have conveniently screen-shotted for y’all:

Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 6.46.14 AM

I’m not sure where to start with deconstructing this pick-up-artist wannabe clan, but let’s just START WITH THE ALL CAPS. Who does that? Update: turns out THE NAVY DOES THAT.

I’m thinking of crashing this Meetup with a posse of sufficiently ridiculous and hilarious friends.

First the good news: I can easily imagine what kind of person I’d love to attract for this action (namely, anyone who thinks this is ludicrous, in a fun way, and wants to join me) but, and here’s the other good news, I’m having trouble figuring out the perfect thing to do once we get there. Let’s think.

First thought: line dance with boas, singing “I will survive.” Maybe not that exactly, but something to intentionally and directly contrast the oppressively normative nature of a bunch of straight guys looking for “hot” women using a formulaic approach involving magic tricks. Bonus points, obviously, for ill-fitting cocktail dresses that emphasize jiggling flesh.

In other words, let’s take a page out of this book, one of my all-time favorite Occupy actions:

Other ideas welcome!

Categories: #OWS, musing
  1. Aaron
    June 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

You could take signs protesting that it should be “Men WHO date hot women.”

• June 12, 2013 at 8:07 am

Nice.

• June 12, 2013 at 8:17 am

No, they meant it, they want keep intelligent women at bay… shrewd.

2. Linda
    June 12, 2013 at 8:23 am

“Hot” as in. . .menopausal?

3. Zathras
    June 12, 2013 at 9:17 am

Maybe a better title is “Men who Photoshop.”

4. June 12, 2013 at 9:40 am

“but let’s just START WITH THE ALL CAPS. Who does that?”

Someone who uses an ASR33 teletype and paper tape as their word processor.

5. Becky Jaffe
    June 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

The all-caps is intended to encourage their members to be BOLD and CONFIDENT when approaching thermally enhanced females. I recommend that you print up a shirt with HOT WOMAN printed in bold letters to help them identify you.

6. beewhy2012
    June 12, 2013 at 11:56 pm

How do these WINGMEN fit in? Sounds like a mashup of hockey with a bit of Air Force for precision scoring. Should your troupe of HOT WOMEN get to have their own WINGWOMEN to fend off poser MEN THAT DATE HOT WOMEN and ensure a focused assault on the really hardcore MTDHW trainees and their coaches? Could I come in drag?

7. Savanarola
    June 13, 2013 at 5:11 am

Merciful Lord. If I lived closer, I’d be perfect for your group. Even when I was smoking hot (decades ago) I terrified most men. Now I look like a cross between my mother and a garden gnome – still instilling fear, perhaps for different reasons. And man, can I belt out the show tunes. I recommend “It’s raining men.” Or perhaps “Hell” by the Squirrel Nut Zippers.