Home > musing > Good news Sunday

Good news Sunday

April 28, 2013

Sunday mornings tend to provoke me to write the most whimsical posts of the week. I’ve usually gotten enough sleep for the first time in seven days, unless I’m hung over from Saturday late-night karaoke (but I usually like to do that on Fridays), and I can actually remember some of my dreams.

Especially on a glorious sunny Spring morning like today, I can’t abide any bad news or ranting. So today it’s only gonna be good news. Here goes.

1) Chocolate Fondue

Did you know that you can buy chocolate fondue machines for like $9.00? I found this out because at some point I realized my kids hadn’t had chocolate fondue in ages (trust me, it was all about the kids), and I wanted to find a place in New York City where we could go eat fondue, but the only places offering it were like $300 meals for a family of five. So I went on Amazon instead, and paid for the whole shebang for under $30, including the little sticks, and that silly little machine still works. It’s like a happiness machine.

2) Star Trek

There’s a new Star Trek movie, Into Darkness, coming out starting on May 15th. Do not beware the ides of May.

3) TBTF

Sherrod Brown and David Vitter introduced an “end too-big-to-fail” bill this week and they wrote about it in an Op-Ed for the New York Times. It doesn’t mean it’ll be passed, or that it’s perfect, but the momentum is gaining, which is good.

4) Knitting

This is in the category of “good news for me” and you might not care, but after years of worrying that it would be too twine-y, I’ve taken the plunge into knitting with linen and I love it. I’m making this sweater in black linen, and I’ve already finished the back panel:

Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 7.35.40 AM

Categories: musing
  1. Abe Kohen
    April 28, 2013 at 7:50 am

Fondue, Star Trek and Knitting are matters of taste, and I’m glad you are fond of these and have reason to be joyous. But TBTF? Do you lose sleep over this? Why?

• April 28, 2013 at 7:58 am

Why didn’t you?

• Abe Kohen
        April 28, 2013 at 8:17 am

Because I focus on real problems, such as being the primary caregiver to my spouse who is in remission from brain cancer. Now that is something I lose sleep over. TBTF? WTF? I can live with that.

• April 28, 2013 at 8:24 am

I can understand why you don’t have time for TBTF given your circumstances. But that doesn’t mean TBTF isn’t a real problem.

The reason I lose sleep on it is because I see a direct line from it and the fact that people are suffering from unemployment, lost retirement, and ridiculous medical bills they have no hope to pay.

• Abe Kohen
          April 28, 2013 at 8:36 am

But is TBTF the root cause of all those ills? Would eliminating TBTF cause a surge in employment, increase retirement benefits or lower medical bills? I don’t see how. Will we be more competitive vis-a-vis China, India, Thailand or Vietnam? Would jobs start flowing in the opposite direction? I lose sleep over unemployment, retirement benefits and medical bills, but not over TBTF.

• April 28, 2013 at 9:01 am

It really depends on how we choose to solve it. But yes, there would be long-term positive effects on our economy if we set up the system better. Right now there’s an incentive for insiders to get into large banks, take huge risky bets, and let the taxpayer bail them out if those bets go wrong. This only enriches the insiders at the expense of people trying to make a living.

• Leon Kautsky
          April 28, 2013 at 11:46 pm

You gotta admit: it’s still better than peta.