Columbia Data Science Institute: it’s gonna happen
So Bloomberg finally got around to announcing the Columbia Data Science Institute is really going to happen. The details as we know them now:
- It’ll be at the main campus, not Manhattanville.
- It’ll hire 75 faculty over the next decade (specifically, 30 new faculty by launch in August 2016 and 75 by 2030, so actually more than a decade but who’s counting?).
- It will contain a New Media Center, a Smart Cities Center, a Health Analytics Center, a Cybersecurity Center, and a Financial Analytics Center.
- The city is pitching in $15 million whereas Columbia is ponying up $80 million.
- Columbia Computer Science professor Kathy McKeown will be the Director and Civil Engineering professor Patricia Culligan will be the Institute’s Deputy Director.