Home > rant > It rocks to be 40

It rocks to be 40

July 13, 2012

So it’s my birthday today, I’m finally 40. I’m enjoying it so much I started calling myself 40 like four months ago because I couldn’t wait.

I’m not exactly sure why it is so meaningful to me, this number. You might think I’m enough of a rebel to just not care at all about a number like this, even though it is certainly culturally significant. But here’s the thing, I’m owning it.

Since I’m an alpha female, being 40 frees me up quite a bit. I don’t have to even imagine not being taken seriously or being thought of as too young or inexperienced to have an opinion. I have no urge to be cute or play dumb. Leave that to younger people, it wouldn’t work for me anymore anyhow.

My dad used to tell me to try to be “more demure” so that people wouldn’t be put off by me. Worst advice ever. I definitely have gotten more out of my life by being completely honest and upfront than by playing a synthetic role. It also wastes less time for everyone. At this point I’m able to look over my experiences and know things like that rock-solid, and not second guess myself. That’s a good feeling.

You know what rocks about being 40? It comes down to this: I am old enough to know the difference between bullshit and the good stuff and I’m still feeling healthy and fully capable of enjoying the good stuff. It is seriously freeing, and I’m looking forward to everything about it. And I say this basically unemployed and not knowing what I’m doing next, which for some reason gives rise to the most freeing moments for me.

Presents I don’t want for my 40th birthday:

• hair dye. I’m letting myself go grey, it’s gorgeous IMHO.
  • anti-wrinkle cream. Screw that.
  • girdles. I’ve already complained about that.

Presents I might want for my 40th birthday:

• a night out on the town ending with karaoke is always nice.
  • puzzles and games. I’ve always love playing with puzzles. Crosswords too.
  • time with the many people I love. That’s the best part.

Let’s do this, people! Fuck yeah!!

Categories: rant
  1. July 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Happy 40th birthday!

2. Konstantinos
    July 13, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Happy birthday!! :D

3. July 14, 2012 at 2:43 am

Hahaha Happy Birthday! Re ‘ it wouldn’t work for me anymore anyhow’ I didn’t think you ever had to work that XD Have an awesome day!

4. Bindicap
    July 14, 2012 at 10:02 am

Happy Birthday! And best wishes for many more to come.

I like all the reports from math camp. They’re coming fast, which is awesome. Such a cool reminder of what a great and beautiful world is out there, where it’s the perfect time to turn 40. Congrats!

5. July 14, 2012 at 10:42 am

Happy Birthday mathbabe! When you get back we have some celebrating to do!

6. July 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Happy birthday! Entirely agree with your perspective on age. Think I started self-identifying as forty mid-way through 38 because, by then, I had enough experience to deserve it.

7. brownian
    July 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Happy birthday our mathbabe! I read somewhere once that people are more okay/cool with ages in their 20, 40’s and 60’s… I do not remember what was the reason, at least you seem to be a positive example to their thesis. Here’s a great opportunity for you to enjoy life in a different way, as someone of age 40!

8. Vladimir Stepanov
    July 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Happy birthday and congratulations! my forty is next spring, and it really boils dow to something like this :-)

«I am old enough to know the difference between bullshit and the good stuff and I’m still feeling healthy and fully capable of enjoying the good stuff.»